Why December 4th? It is the birthday of Khayam, a cheetah Dr. Marker raised from a cub at Wildlife Safari, in Oregon. Khayam was trained for the first research project in rewilding and inspired her first trip to Namibia in 1977.
Dr. Marker took Khayam to Africa to see if she could be taught to hunt in the wild. Through trial and error, Dr. Marker was successful in her efforts, and she eventually brought Khayam back to the US. It was during this time that Dr. Marker found out about how cheetahs were being exterminated by Namibian farmers who viewed them as vermin, and she vowed to do something about it. So Dr. Marker became the cheetah’s champion because of Khayam, and chose this animal’s birthday as a day to promote cheetah conservation in honor of her memory.
Here are 10 things you can do to help us celebrate International Cheetah Day on December 4th
1. Be a wildlife ambassador. Tell your friends and family about the cheetah.
2. Visit www.internationalcheetahday.org and sign-up to host a cheetah event. Check out what other people around the world are doing to celebrate International Cheetah Day.
3. Swap your online profile photo for a cheetah. Choose one here.
4. Join the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtags, #SaveTheCheetah & #IntlCheetahDay. Use our special made Tweet Sheet to send tweets simply and easily. Just log in to your Twitter account and then open the Tweet Sheet. Click the TWEET button in the right-hand column to instantly post to your Twitter page.
5. Download our Conservation Passport designed by CCF education specialists in Namibia. Print out your very own Certificate of Cheetah Achievement when you finish your passport!
6. Watch and share this special International Cheetah Day video message from Jeff Corwin.
7. Just for kids (or maybe not): download our template to make your own way-cool cheetah mask. It’s fun to impersonate a cheetah! Post a photo of yourself and your cheetah mask to CCF’s Facebook page! (Mask also included in the Cheetah Activity Packet).
8. Share a cheetah image on your social media profile for the day, week or month.
9. Get some stylish cheetah gear from the CCF Store, at Cafe’ Press, so you can spark conversation about the cheetah all year ‘round.
10. Sponsor/adopt a resident cheetah from CCF’s sanctuary. Click to Sponsor a Cheetah!